Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day!

I hope everyone enjoyed Earth Day 2010! It was a mostly lovely day here in the Boston area, with some late day scattered spring thunderstorms - kind of neat to hear the sound of thunder after a long winter.

In honor of Earth Day, I tried to put on my best green behavior! Much of what I did is now part of my normal routine, including traveling with my trusty reusable shopping bags. I did 3 errands today and only ended up with 1 plastic bag, which will be reused - I couldn't catch the cashier before he bagged my items, and then I decided to let it slide as we do use them routinely for pet clean up. I also took my homemade iced coffee 'to go' in a travel mug - I can proudly say my coffee cup consumption is almost down to nothing in the past few years. And I try not to leave home without 'straight from the tap' bottled water in my aluminum water bottle.

In addition to my usual habits, I tried to be a little more vigilant about power usage at home. We even dined by candlelight tonight! I also attempted to streamline my errands and jobs to minimize unnecessary driving, which is just plain good time management in general. And last but not least, I took time to look at and enjoy the beautiful world around me, including the brand new leaves - it seems they decided to make their appearance today - how fitting!

How did you celebrate Earth Day 2010?

No comments: